Low-Carb Keto Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
This low-carb keto Philly cheesesteak skillet has sautéed onions and peppers, ground beef, and provolone cheese, this skillet has all the classic flavors of a Philly Cheesesteak but can be made in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight meal!
Can you say comfort food?
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet is juicy, cheesy & ultra-mouthwatering, the best part? It’s low carb!
Low-carb Keto friendly Philly cheesesteak casserole is made in a skillet. It is an easy dish that comes together quickly and can be served with low carb bread or your favorite salad. This 30-minute dinner recipe is just perfect for busy working people or stay at home moms, because they require minimal effort and ingredients to make.
What is Philly Cheesesteak?
Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheesesteak sandwich, or steak and cheese) is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll.
Today’s recipe is a low-carb, variation of the traditional recipe. I wanted to take those classic flavors and turn them into a weeknight meal that you could make even on the busiest of nights – and this keto Philly cheesesteak skillet delivers!
As you can probably guess I am attemping the keto diet. Talk about a lifestyle change! So, I have been struggling to find out how to still feed my family, have some food options AND making things that taste good. This recipe hits all of the marks.
How to Make this Keto Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
You can make this Philly cheesesteak skillet with just a few simple steps:
- Cook the ground beef. First, you’ll cook the ground beef for about 5 minutes. Once it is browned, drain off the excess fat, transfer meat to a separate bowl.
- Saute the vegetables. Second, you’ll thinly slice an onion, a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, and 8 ounces of mushrooms. If you’re a mushroom hater, you can leave them out, but we found that they make this meal a little more complete and help up the veggie ratio. Once the veggies are sliced, you’ll add them to a hot pan with some olive oil, and saute for about 5-7 minutes, until they are all browned and the onions are slightly caramelized. Then, you’ll remove them from the pan.
- Add everything back to the pan. Next, you’ll add the beef back to the pan then stir in seasonings. This will help give the dish more flavor. Let everything cook for about 3-4 minutes, until it is bubbling, to let the flavors infuse.
- Layer on the cheese. The last step is also the most important – adding cheese! Layer 6 slices of cheese over top of the beef, then either put a lid on the pan or turn on your oven’s broiler and place the skillet under it for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned. Enjoy!
This low-carb keto Philly cheesesteak skillet makes a fantastic meal on its own, but would also be great served over cauliflower rice or alongside a green salad. If you’re not following a Keto or low-carb diet, you could also use this as the filling for a sandwich, serve it over white rice, or make Philly cheesesteak stuffed potatoes. I hope you love this easy meal!
Scroll down for the recipe and Enjoy!
Low-Carb Keto Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices provolone cheese
Put the minced garlic in the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up the ground beef as it cooks, until the beef is browned. Then, drain off the excess fat.
Add the stock and sauces and cook over medium heat until the liquid is reduced. Transfer the meat to a separate bowl and set aside. Return the skillet to medium heat.
Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, put the sliced onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms in the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
Reduce the heat to medium and return the meat to the pan. Stir to combine everything and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Place the cheese on top of the beef and either cover with a lid or turn your oven to the broil setting and place the skillet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and enjoy!
This skillet can be served as-is, but if you'd like to stretch it a bit further it can also be served over cauliflower rice or white rice or in a sandwich!